United States President Donald Trump announced on May 18 he called off a planned military attack on Iran scheduled for the next day after the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates urged him to hold off as “serious negotiations” were underway.
In a post to Truth Social, Trump said that Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and UAE President Mohammed bin Zayed had asked him to delay the attack because they believed a deal could be reached that would be “very acceptable” to the United States, the Middle East and beyond.
“This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!” he continued.
Trump added that, out of respect for the three Persian Gulf leaders, he had instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Daniel Caine and the U.S. military not to carry out the scheduled attack. He warned, however, that the order could be reversed quickly if talks fail.
“I have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached,” he said.
Earlier in the day, President Donald Trump told the New York Post he is “not open” to concessions to Iran after the Islamic Republic’s latest response to U.S. efforts to reach a deal to end the war.
Trump said he was not “frustrated” with Tehran but suggested that the Islamic Republic understands the risk of further U.S. action.
“I can tell you they want to make a deal more than ever, because they know we’re—what’s going to be happening soon,” he told the news outlet.
Asked about his earlier suggestion that he might accept a 20-year moratorium on Iranian uranium enrichment, Trump said: “I’m not open to anything right now.”
Trump reportedly held talks with his national security team over the weekend at his Virginia golf club after returning from China, with further meetings expected on May 19 as some allies press him to resume military operations against the Islamic Republic, the report said.
On the other side, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian stressed on X that “under no circumstances will (the Islamic Republic) retreat from the legal rights of the people and the country.”
“Dialogue does not mean surrender,” Pezeshkian continued.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran enters into dialogue with dignity, authority, and the preservation of the nation’s rights,” he added.
While Trump’s latest remarks may seem at a first glimpse an attempt to de-esculate, they are in fact more of a direct threat to Iran.
The U.S. may be giving the Islamic Republic a day to reach a deal. Trump was clear that preparations for an attack on Tehran are still in place. All recent reports indicate that major differences remain in place between the two sides, even on the main issues like uranium enrichment. Overall, a return to war is far more likely than a deal.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence
NOW hosted at southfront.press
Previously, SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence was at southfront.org.
The .org domain name had been blocked by the US (NATO) (https://southfront.press/southfront-org-blocked-by-u-s-controlled-global-internet-supervisor/) globally, outlawed and without any explanation
Back before that, from 2013 to 2015, SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence was at southfront.com



