Iran has reportedly ordered its military personnel to leave areas controlled by the Houthis (Ansar Allah) in Yemen, the Telegraph reported on April 3, citing a “senior Iranian official.”
The unnamed official told the British newspaper that Tehran was scaling back its support of its regional allies to focus on the direct threats emanating from the United States.
“Every meeting is dominated by discussions about [U.S. President Donald Trump],” the official said.
According to the official, Iran’s pullback from Yemen was designed to avoid the possibility of escalation if an Iranian soldier is killed in U.S. airstrikes there.
Iran is the main backer of the Houthis, with reports suggesting that the group’s drone and missile capabilities were built with direct help from the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
The U.S. military resumed strikes against Houthi-controlled areas in Yemen on March 15 on orders from Trump, who said that the large-scale operation was launched in response to the group’s renewed attacks on shipping in the Red Sea.
Since the start of the operation, at least 67 people, including commanders of the Houthis and civilians, have been reportedly killed.
Trump threatened Iran amid the operation, warning it of military consequences if it did not halt support of the Houthis. The U.S. President later made even more serious to Tehran over its nuclear program.
Tehran is focusing its efforts instead on how to respond to Trump’s recent threats, and “none of the regional groups we previously supported are being discussed,” the official said.
“The view here is that the Houthis will not be able to survive and are living their final months or even days, so there is no point in keeping them on our list,” he continued.
“They were part of a chain that relied on Nasrallah and Assad, and keeping only one part of that chain for the future makes no sense,” the official added, referring respectively to the former leaders of Lebanese Hezbollah and Syria.
Iran has not yet commented on the Telegraph’s report, which may be just a piece of propaganda. While the United Kingdom didn’t take part in the ongoing U.S. operation against the Houthis, it did launch strikes against the group in cooperation with the U.S. military last year.
The Houthis seemed unaffected by the alleged Iranian withdrawal. On April 4, the group announced that they had once again attacked the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman and several other warships of the U.S. Navy in the Red Sea with a number of cruise missiles and suicide drones.
Houthi military spokesman, Brigadier General Yahya Saree, said in a statement that the attack, which was the second in under 24 hours, foiled two waves of strikes on Yemen.
“The Yemeni Armed Forces, with trust in God, are confronting the American aggression against our country and are preparing, with God’s help, to confront any possible developments during the coming period. The aggressor will know that great Yemen cannot be broken or surrendered, and will not abandon its religious, moral and humanitarian duties towards the oppressed Palestinian people, whatever the repercussions and whatever the results. Victory will be Yemen’s ally, God willing,” the spokesman added.
A halt of Iranian support could be disastrous for the Houthis. However, it would be as bad, if not worse, for Tehran as this would allow the U.S. and Israel to direct more capabilities towards it. Thus, it is highly unlikely that the Islamic Republic will take such a risk.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence
NOW hosted at southfront.press
Previously, SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence was at southfront.org.
The .org domain name had been blocked by the US (NATO) (https://southfront.press/southfront-org-blocked-by-u-s-controlled-global-internet-supervisor/) globally, outlawed and without any explanation
Back before that, from 2013 to 2015, SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence was at southfront.com
they better find a way to deactivate the mac address codes so that the nato warplanes can’t keep targeting them.
lol , to withdrew you have to be there to begin with … c’mon , quoting the telegraph : you’re slaking your own standards.
the yemeni people don’t need iran to help them stand for their rights. either they fight for their rights, or they end up like palestine.
the huthis were the only that had a chance to get out of this alife from the axis but they continued the fight after iran had allready abandoned it. but to be honest i like the fact that iran is betraying the huthis cause this will open a door for russia to betray them as well. strike a deal with isreal give them whatever of syria they want keep the bases and protect the christians and alevites.
you’re a concrete thinker, no disputing that.
excellent comment. “two thumbs way up….zelenskys ass” – roger ebert
which unnamed offical is this . its just a propoganda news to create rift nothing else . there is no iranian soldier in yemen there were advisor and they all left after training houthis with missile and drone capabilities and very few is there to guide the attaack .. iran will not abondon the support to any resistance specally hezbollah and houthis they are main ally to humilate us /israel
the americ*nts are bombing away and achieving very little considering the amounts of money they are spending – naval vessels including 2 aircraftcarriers, f35s galore for the bombing and missiles in defense against the houthis’s missile attacks. and no number of americ’nts feet on the ground will change the fact that the flow of bodybags to home will increase. wonder why slime jared kushner ain’t on the ground saving the jews,
not to worry, iran will keep supporting the houthis indefinietly
when the goin’ gets tough, the joo gets goin’
you’re quoting the telegraph? really? propaganda central?
that’s fake news…why sf is quoting “the telegraph”???
so the telegraph has a press campaign to link yemen to iran ? it should read top hasbara officials use the telegraph for more public brainwashing for pro warmongering israel project .
“the view here is that the houthis will not be able to survive and are living their final months or even days, so there is no point in keeping them on our list.” if true, such a statement adds betrayal to cowardice and incompetence..
the same brit propaganda that told that russia didnt have tanks and missile in 2022..
just a curiosity: someone knows how far is the us carrier ship from the yemeni shores? how can they target it so often when it’s so difficult to see over the horizon?
russian and chinese satellites of course.
the usa will regret using their satellites to target russian civilians and infrastructure, karma is coming for the don.
and karma will eventually come for you and your brain farts.
iran has its own satellites.
you’re an expert on farts, but you’d need a brain to understand why your pants are stained.
iran does not have a large constellation of satellites, especially targeting and positioning, which is why the russia-iran strategic agreement was signed, to give that strategic ability to irans forces.
i’m no expert on farts sad one, but your assumption, and that’s all it is, that iranian satellite capacity cannot meet their immediate strategic needs should be explained. you obviously know their satellite configuration. what strategic agreement ? ?
and if you think that ‘russian’ (forget chinese) satellite data is used jointly in co-ordinate targetting of u.s. military vessels, then brain farts are the lesser of your psych issues, of course.
the ancient peoples of the area invented trigonometry: every year the nile river flooded, so they conceived mathematical solutions (what is known as the science trigonometry today) to locate and determine who owned what parcels of land in the flood zones. that technology is a key component of all military and space targeting solutions to this very day.
totally true and confirmed
according to the telegraph, that says it all.
since when did the telegraph have contact with iranian officials, and why would iran say the houthis will fall soon anyway?
the houthis have enforced a blockade against israeli ports very successfully, while the us navy hides out closer to india than yemen for fear of a carrier being sunk.
the propaganda from western sources is embarrassing to children ffs.
don’t get why would sf quote propaganda telegraph? looks like those pigs are desperate. two aircraft carriers, decade long siege, trillions of dollars, saudi arabia, uae, jordan, israel, australian personnel, british, french, all that combined couldn’t do and cant budge yemenis.
so stop quoting those.
thanks.
time to give the heroic houthi rebels the weapons they need to defend their country better
a ‘senior iranian official’ informed a gutter-shit fish ‘n chips rag. ‘we’ve reached the bottom of the barrel’ said noddy to big ears.
don’t be cowards,did us withdraw from ukraine,did us withdraw from syria,did usa withdraw from libya,iraq,yugoslavia,germany,turkey and japan.let both yemen and iran to the talking with missiles.
iran has the technical capacity to produce nukes–this would end amerikan bullies threats
iran needs nukes. the zionists rely on nuclear monopoly. the day that monopoly is broken in the middle east is a day that the world will celebrate. its why we do not have peace yet. nuclear power needs to be balanced
iran needs the return of the shah.
hahahahahahaha. being a western puppet is a bad idea these days
do you now understand why traitorous iran and russia get along so well? they both like jolani more than the unfortunate naive and stupid alawites. the poor houthis will bear the brunt, but if there is a god in heaven or if there is a god in hell, believe me, both putler and the ayatollah will end up like brandon did.
note to sf staff . zero hedge , consortium news , grayzone , covert action , vt foreign policy . are “very few ” of the better reads available . telegraph is a proven propaganda front