Iran Declares ‘Controlled Maritime Zone’ In Hormuz

Click to see full-size image. (X)

Iran’s Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA) announced on May 21 that there will be a “controlled maritime zone” at the Strait of Hormuz.

The statutory authority was founded by Iran earlier in the month, specifically on May 5, amid the ceasefire with the United States. The Islamic Republic said that it will be responsible for the authorization and regulation of maritime transit after contacting the authority.

In a post to X, PGSA set the zone as the “line connecting Kuh-e Mobarak in Iran and southern Fujairah in the UAE at the eastern side of the strait, to the line connecting the end of Qeshm Island in Iran and Umm Al Quwain in the UAE at the western side of the strait.”

It warned that transit through the area to pass through the strait will require coordination and authorization from the authority.

“Frequencies in this range for passing through the Strait of Hormuz require coordination with the Persian Gulf Waterway Management and a permit from this entity,” the authority said.

The Strait of Hormuz — responsible for around 20 percent of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments — has very much remained under de facto Iranian control since the start of the American-Israeli war on the Islamic Republic on February 28.

The Islamic Republic is reported to have attacked at least 37 vessels that attempted to violate the blockade since then, including several which were hit after the ceasefire with the U.S. went into effect on April 8.

Click to see full-size image. (X)

A recent report by Reuters revealed that Iran is enforcing a multi-tiered system for clearing vessels through the Strait of Hormuz.

The report — published just a day before PGSA declared the “controlled maritime zone” — said that the system set up by the Islamic Republic can involve in some cases government-to-government arrangements, intense vetting by the Iranian government and sometimes fees in exchange for safe passage.

To no surprise, the PGSA’s announcement triggered the United Arab Emirates. Anwar Mohammed Gargash, Diplomatic Adviser to the UAE President, said the Iranian “bullying” has eroded trust, warning that attempts to impose a new regional reality will not succeed.

In a post on X, Gargash said the Gulf region had grown accustomed over decades to what he called Iranian “bullying”, adding that its credibility had been lost between aggressive political discourse and what he described as hollow statements of friendship.

“After the brutal Iranian aggression, Tehran’s regime was attempting to solidify a new reality born out of an obvious military defeat”, Gargash said, adding that attempts to control the Strait of Hormuz or infringe upon the UAE’s maritime sovereignty were unrealistic and would remain just wishful thinking.”

He added that whoever seeks coexistence with its Arab neighbours must recognise that trust had been lost and could not be restored through slogans alone.

“Trust can only be rebuilt through responsible language, respect for sovereignty and genuine commitment to the principles of good neighbourliness,” Gargash stressed.

Tensions between Iran and the UAE reached an unprecedented level over the last few weeks, with the Islamic Republic even resuming strikes on the Gulf state.

The PGSA’s “controlled maritime zone” restricts access to all ports in the UAE, some directly, and others indirectly. Abu Dhabi will not likely tolerate this.

This emerging situation is another sign that all recent reports of progress in talks between the U.S. and Iran are too optimistic. The two sides are yet to find a real solution to any of the main issues, including how to manage traffic through the Strait of Hormuz.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence

NOW hosted at southfront.press

Previously, SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence was at southfront.org.

The .org domain name had been blocked by the US (NATO) (https://southfront.press/southfront-org-blocked-by-u-s-controlled-global-internet-supervisor/) globally, outlawed and without any explanation

Back before that, from 2013 to 2015, SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence was at southfront.com

SOUTHFRONT.PRESS

MORE ON THIS TOPIC:

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments