Syrian Government Forces Are Preparing Attack On Druze In Suwayda

Illustrative image. (Syrian Arab News Agency)

The Islamist-led Syrian Transitional Government (STG) is preparing an attack against Druze National Guard in the southern governorate of al-Suwayda, Al Jazeera reported on February 17.

Citing a source in al-Suwayda, the Qatari news channel said that the attack will be similar to a one carried out by STG forces against the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in the northeast of the country last month, carefully planned to avoid violations with the aim of deploying security forces in the entirety of the governorate.

The National Guard was formed by Druze armed factions under the direction of the community spiritual leader in Syria, Sheikh Hikmat al-Hijri, in August, little over a month after the end of a deadly attack by STG forces and allied Bedouin fighters on al-Suwayda.

The battle in July claimed the lives of over 3,000 people, at least third of whom were Druze civilians. Hundreds others were reportedly abducted. Israel intervened at the time to protect the Druze, citing historic ties with its own Druze community. The battle ended with a United States-brokered ceasefire.

More than 30 Druze towns in the northern and western countryside of al-Suwayda are still held by the STG, which continue to impose a partial blockade on the governorate.

Al Jazeera’s report came just a day after Sulaiman Abdul Baqi, a Druze commander in the STG security forces, announced in a post to Facebook that the government will be returning to al-Suwayda, vowing to hold anyone involved in violations from both sides accountable.

Last month, Abdul Baqi made a visit to the U.S. where he met with lawmakers and researchers and vouched for the return of the STG to al-Suwayda.

Israel’s top officials, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, have repeatedly warned since the battle in July that they will not allow any threats to Druze in al-Suwayda.

The source from al-Suwayda who spoke to Al Jazeera speculated that “the advance of government forces may push Sheikh al-Hijri to sign an agreement to dissolve the National Guard and allow the entry of security forces in exchange for advantages in appointments.”

The STG offensive in the northeast ended with a merger agreement with the SDF. The U.S. played a key role in brokering the deal, which is yet to be implemented in full.

According to Al Jazeera, the leader of the Druze community in Israel, Muwaffaq Tarif, told al-Hijri that the Israeli military can’t help them establish an independent state, and that their destination should be Damascus.

The channel’s report also noted that al-Hijri rejected an initiative by the STG-appointed governor of Suwaida, Mustafa Bakour, for national dialogue.

The governor called for the formation of a dialogue committee that would bring together the parties to discuss issues calmly and constructively, drawing inspiration from the experiences of countries such as Lebanon, South Africa and Colombia in resolving disputes through dialogue and reconciliation.

The STG’s new push to enter al-Suwayda came as some divisions began to emerge within Druze factions in the governorate.

Prince Abu Yahya Hassan Al-Atrash — son of late Druze nationalist Sultan al-Atrasha who led the Great Syrian Revolt against the French occupation in the 1920s — fled from al-Suwayda to Damascus on February 16 with help from the STG after a reported disagreement with al-Hijri.

Responding to recent developments, the National Guard on February 17 released a statement, denying any disagreements in al-Suwayda, and reaffirming that it will not compromise.

A report by The Washington Post from December alleged that Israel has been bankrolling and arming National Guard factions in al-Suwayda.

All in all, the STG appears to be planning an attack on al-Suwayda. The National Guard is guaranteed to fight back. However, taking into account intra-Druze disagreements, and the fact that some members of the community have taken the side of the government, the fate of the governorate will ultimately be decided by Israel.

Another intervention by the Israeli military will keep government forces at bay, but it could also hinder U.S.-mediated talks on a security agreement with Damascus. Thus, it won’t be surprising if the National Guard found itself abandoned amid the next battle.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence

NOW hosted at southfront.press

Previously, SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence was at southfront.org.

The .org domain name had been blocked by the US (NATO) (https://southfront.press/southfront-org-blocked-by-u-s-controlled-global-internet-supervisor/) globally, outlawed and without any explanation

Back before that, from 2013 to 2015, SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence was at southfront.com

SOUTHFRONT.PRESS

MORE ON THIS TOPIC:

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
2 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Taylah Wirth

make extra profit every week… this is a great part-time job for everyone… best part about it is that you can work from your home and earn from 100-2000 dollars each week … start today and have your first payment at the end of the week..

.…………………………… https://psee.io/8jqu9r

hash
hashed
Last edited 5 hours ago by Taylah Wirth
Novah Protz

make extra profit every week… this is a great part-time job for everyone… best part about it is that you can work from your home and earn from 100-2000 dollars each week … start today and have your first payment at the end of the week..

.…………………………… https://www.findjobs1.site

Last edited 1 hour ago by Novah Protz